How Michigan’s struggles with chronic absenteeism undermine education.
Limited access to school buses and an unreliable transit system make it tougher for students to get to class.
The options vary based on where you live and which school the student attends.
Families typically try their best to get kids to school, interviews with parents and researchers show. If you know why absenteeism remains high, we want to hear your story.
Schools have gotten little help addressing a problem that is far bigger than them, experts say, one whose roots lie in society-wide failures of housing, employment, and public health.
If you value Chalkbeat, consider making a donation
Chalkbeat is a nonprofit newsroom dedicated to providing the information families and educators need, but this kind of work isn’t possible without your help.
Find your next education job.
- Varsity Tutors: Special Education Tutors/Instructors
- Gunnison Watershed School District: Middle School Principal
- Roaring Fork School District: CLDE Coach/Dual Language Coordinator
- Inwood Academy for Leadership: Social Worker (Temporary Assignment)
- Rocky Mountain Prep: Elementary School Teacher 2023-2024 ($58k to 85k salary)