Barbara Coloroso, bestselling author and speaker in the areas of parenting, teaching, positive school climate and nonviolent conflict resolution will be the keynote speaker Saturday at the Denver Public Schools’ Parent Leadership Institute.
Denver parents and families are invited to attend the institute to engage in a day of educational workshops. The goal of the event is to enhance the skills of parents as partners in the successful education of their children. Several workshops will be offered, covering a range of topics.
- “Destination Blue” – Understanding the SPF rating
- What is an Effective Teacher?
- Understanding CSAP and Other Assessments
- Multiple Pathways – DPS Programs
- The DPS Choice Process: How to Choose a School
- DPS Turnaround Strategies: Supporting and Improving our Highest Needs Schools
- Communication Tool Kit and Parent Constituency Concerns – Communication Between Home and School
- Post-Secondary Guide to Graduation and College
As part of the 2010 Denver Plan, DPS is committed to strengthening parent and family engagement because it’s a crucial part in moving students forward to achieve at higher education levels.
At the Leadership Institute, parents will have the opportunity to attend workshops, listen to motivational speakers and learn about resources in their schools and communities. The Parent Leadership Institute is designed to help parents become more involved in their children’s education.
Superintendent Tom Boasberg will kick off the all-day event by welcoming parents and commending them for their commitment to further their children’s education.
Parent Leadership Institute
WHEN: 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24
WHERE: North High School, 2960 Speer Blvd., Denver
INFO: E-mail Kristy Armstrong at Kristy_armstrong@dpsk12.org or call 720-423-3627